Sunday, August 01, 2010

August 1st: Upsetting the Applecart

I missed my regular apple tree posting on July 1st because I was in Alaska (I so love being able to write that), but I'm back on track now.  I had nearly a dozen apples on the trees earlier this spring, but the master gardener (hi Dad!) warned me that the trees wouldn't be ready to handle it, so I culled the crop per his instructions.
The bunnies and other backyard wildlife staff took care of the rest and I am now down to just one apple.  That's okay, because the trees are still toddlers and they need time to mature before I can turn my backyard into my personal you-pick farm.
In the meantime, things in the garden are coming along fairly well, especially taking into account the summer's heat.  I've only watered the garden, so the back half of the backyard looks great while the rest of the lawn struggles (e.g., cuts down on my mowing chores).  In the photo below, you can see the sun-burned hostas to the left; it's been an awfully hot, dry summer.

The cannas planted in full sun are looking impressive.  The tomatoes look promising.  There are fresh garden flowers in the house.  I'm just a few days away from enjoying fresh tomatoes.  My garden overfloweth.

No comments: