Saturday, August 21, 2010

Mutant Produce

In keeping with my granola image, I use compost to help keep my garden happily growing.  In the summer, I turn a hole in the garden into a compost pit and then I have plenty of fertilizer for my plants, easily accessible for enriching the garden right next to the pit.

This summer, some volunteer squash vines emerged from the pit and I let them grow just to see what they would turn out to be.  I think of compost pile-generated produce as a sort of garden catfish….clearly, these are bottom-feeder veggies.
And they look it.  I'm happy to report that my hybrid squash tastes just fine, a mutant combination of zucchini and mild yellow squash guaranteed to satisfy mamas and horrify children who refuse to eat their veggies.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

We have a mutant vine coming from our compost heap, as well. I can't wait to see what it is. I'm thinking it's those little tiny pumpkins we planted last year.