Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Your Weekly Dogwood is Back

The other day, I was in the backyard and I realized that the dogwood's leaves have already begun to change colors.  Here's where I admit that I am a sucker for seasonal change. Spring and fall, the seasons that anticipate summer and winter, are invariably my favorite seasons.  I like to watch the foliage change and I always welcome the more moderate temperatures that spring and fall bring.

Typically, late summer around here brings drying foliage.  This year we had a good deal of rain and the leaves and lawn are still quite lush.  I've grown so accustomed to the deep green tree leaves that I was a tad surprised to see that the dogwood has already begun to anticipate the next season.  I guess I forgot that Mother Nature's pull is irresistible.

Though the calendar reports that summer has a few more weeks left, yesterday was Labor Day and that marks the end of summer and the start of the fall back-to-school season in my world.  My classroom is organized and I've started back-to-school meetings; classes begin next week.  JT's got some new school clothes and a backpack large enough to carry the truckload of fresh school supplies he's acquired.  I've organized my closet to put the flip flops and summer t-shirts aside.  Fall is on its way.  For the next few weeks, as the leaves and I make our yearly transition to fall, I will be making a picture of the dogwood every Tuesday.  
I figure that a tree this nice shouldn't just get a star turn in the spring.  I hope you agree, Internet.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

Our trees are dry as a bone and are already shedding leaves in the scorching hot summer wind. It's such a bummer. The leaves will be gone before they even get a chance to change.