Sunday, September 02, 2012

Real Life Texts with KO: Latin edition

The backstory: A few weeks ago, my sister KO took an unfortunate spill.  The result is a pretty serious foot and ankle injury.  It happened at work, which means workmen's comp (an alternate universe whereby your suffering is greeted by a giant medical "meh" while the medical folks drag their feet and you contemplate life with permanent pain).   Two painful weeks into the injury, she's finally gotten closer to a diagnosis, though not a cure.  Pain not withstanding, she has retained her sense of humor.

KO: Broken navicular and talus. You can look that up and send me a Google treatment plan.

Me:  Talus sounds like an STD. Is there something you aren't telling me?

KO:  It's in the same STD family as clematis and shimera.

Note: Every time I mention my clematis vine, my sister makes a disparaging remark about the word clematis, suggesting that I live a less than clean lifestyle.  And shimera is a brand of undies carried by Nordstrom that I have been known to both purchase and disparage

Here's hoping that the good-humored KO gets a decent doctor and the repairs necessary to take those new shoes in her closet for a spin. 

No comments: