Friday, June 07, 2013

Food Friday: Corn, Avocado & Black Bean Salsa

Come warm weather season, I like to have crisp and cool foods in my fridge.  I've plenty of recipes for just such items, but I'm always thinking about a new innovation.  A few weeks ago, I found it in the form of a corn and black bean salsa of my own devising.

The ingredients are simple and, conveniently, are the sorts of things I tend to have in my pantry.  The salsa keeps fresh for at least a few days, though the avocado may get a bit mushy (it stays fresher than you think thanks to the presence of the lime juice).  In any case, it's not likely to last that long.
The Ingredients
one can of black beans, drained and rinsed
one can of corn, drained 
half of a jalapeno, seeded and diced 
3 green onions, diced
5-6 radishes, finely diced
1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped fine (add more if you like the taste)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
juice of 1/2 of a lime
one avocado, diced 
Mix the first 6 ingredients (black beans through cilantro) until it's well-mixed.  Then add the cumin, salt, and lime juice and mix again.  Just before serving, mix the diced avocado in.
Serve with tortilla chips or scoop Fritos.  Or quesadillas.  Heck, it could be a side dish with grilled burgers or chicken.  I ate a bowl of it as a snack after a baseball game.  This here is a win-win recipe.


No comments: