Thursday, December 31, 2015

New Blooms for a New Year

For the past few years, I’ve been the recipient of an amaryllis bulb for Christmas.  This year’s bulb is the usual impressive specimen and I potted it at once.  I also received a box of organic mushrooms that will grow on my kitchen counter.  I’ve envied these kits for some time and was particularly pleased to receive one.  This morning, I started the process of getting my box of mushrooms ready.


The mushroom box is now in its assigned windowsill, getting ready to grow me some delicious fungus for the new year.  


I don’t make New Year’s resolutions, but I do like the idea of the new year as both a fresh start and an opportunity to try new things.  So my new amaryllis bulb and my box of mushrooms will provide weekly inspiration and growth, a reminder in the midst of the sometimes dreary Winter season that renewal is everywhere, if we just look for it.  For the next few Thursdays, I’ll post photos of my changing blooms so I can share the progress.


Happy New Year, y’all.  May 2016 bring you peace, renewal, and some moments of unmitigated joy.

No comments: