Thursday, August 24, 2006

Who Else Can I Still Be?

When my friend S wrote this entry over on her tasty and inspiring blog (http://butwait.blogspot.com/2006/08/who-else-can-i-still-be.html), it felt to me like she was mostly looking forward toward new things that she could still do as well as being grateful for the powers that she still possessed. And that second part really appealed to me, especially after the events of my summer. So I have been thinking about who I am and who else I can still be. And here are my thoughts.

I can still be a woman who does her part to let the children in my world know how very much they are loved.

I can still read my son a story and safely tuck him into bed every night. I can still tell him that I will never leave. And I can mean it.

I can still be the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and Santa.

I can still be a mama to a new babine.

I can still fall in love and be loved back.

I can still be brave and strong in the face of pain and fear.

I can still laugh and I can make other people laugh.

I can still believe that one person really can make the world a better place.

I can still pick flowers grown in my garden, place them in a vase, and admire their beauty.

I can still persuade my students that being smart is cool.

I can still take my son to watch a major league baseball game.

I can still hear my son laugh when he doesn't know I am listening.

I can still learn (again) how to change a tire.

I can still cook up a storm and make the best fried chicken ever.

I can still raise a happy and blessed little boy into a happy and blessed man.

I can still be someone's rock; their solid foundation from which to experience the world.

3 comments:

Shark Butt said...

This is a beautifully hopeful post!

kln said...

this is awesome for you to write.

it is exactly what you allow me to see in you.

Shelley said...

Sweet.