Sunday, January 31, 2021

Book Report: Miss Read in January

 For 2021, I decided to take up a monthly read of two Miss Read Books:  Village Diary and The Year at Thrush Green.  I’ve read both of these books many (man!) times before; they are familiar and happy favorites in my world.  Both books have a chapter for each month of the year and I plan to read the chapter corresponding to the month at hand, progressing through the stories month-by-month.


Village Diary might very well be my favorite of all the Miss Read books, which is saying something.
  In it, the character of Miss Read is unvarnished, with her sarcasm on fine display in a way that I especially enjoy.  Both books are written as monthly diaries and so they make a nice seasonal companion for the year.  The imaginary towns of Fair Acre and Thrush Green had cold and snowy Januaries and by all accounts we’re to close out this month with a humdinger of a storm - the forecast calls for more than 20 inches in my corner of the state - so the chapters were an especially fitting close to this eventful month.  I always enjoy a little time in Miss Read’s world and this 2021 project is a happy one to contemplate.

No comments: