Friday, January 01, 2021

Old Man Tree; January 1

There was a nearly full moon in the night sky for New Year’s Eve.  Late in the night, we stepped outside in the still cold air to admire the moon and, in my case, to ask for its blessing on the new year to come.  Things didn’t stay quiet for long as my neighbors let off fireworks and generally gave release to the tensions and fears of 2020, welcoming 2021 with cheers and laughter.  The celebrations were joyous as we all faced forward to 2021.

I welcome this year with open arms and hope, even a tentative confidence, that we can rise above the ignorance and fears that have characterized the last four years.  We need to do better; indeed we must.  The load to be lifted is heavy but I have confidence that we will come together and try anew to be the shining city on the hill that we must work toward becoming.  


In the spirit of this hope and to welcome the start of each month in 2021, I will post pictures of Old Man Tree, the giant red oak that lives in my backyard and daily frames my view of the world outside my door.  Today he presides over the snacks we’ve left out for the backyard wildlife.



I love this tree, which is one of the oldest red oaks in my county.  The arborist who keeps Old Man Tree healthy and well believes that the tree is more than 130 years old.  He’s seen a lot, this tree, and he endures, steadfast and strong through the storms of this world.  His continued health is my responsibility.  I take that seriously.  



He got a new face last month and like all of us in Sassafras House looks for a new year with hope.  There is much to be learned from this tree that bears witness to our lives.  I intend to do just that in the coming year.  




1 comment:

charles said...

I know of a group of private investigators who can help you with they are also hackers but prefer to be called private investigators They can help with your bitcoin issues and your clients will be happy doing business with you,they can also help yo with your bad credit score,hacking into phones,binary recovery,wiping criminal records,increase school score, stolen files in your office or school,blank atm etc. Just name it and you will live a better life
whatsapp +1 (984) 733-3673
telegram +1 (984) 733-3673
Premiumhackservices@gmail.com