Saturday, March 03, 2007

My Enchanted March

In preparation for my upcoming vacation I have been re-reading Elizabeth von Arnim's 1922 book The Enchanted April. The novel is the story of four women who leave dreary wet London in April for a stay at medieval Italian castle cloaked in wisteria and sunshine. The story is indeed enchanting, as the castle and the holiday prove quite perfect.

I'm not headed to San Salvatore but I am leaving cold wet New Jersey for a week in Orlando, Florida with some friends. The promise of a warm pool and hot tub, weather that demands sandals, and a trip to Disneyworld is pretty enchanting right now. JT is excited well beyond belief, and he told his first grade teacher that he didn't think he could fit in any homework because he would be "too busy in the pool, the hot tub, on the roller coasters, and stuff like that."

I'm tired and worn out from the demands of single mamahood. And I still miss parts of my old life. But this upcoming week will be a chance to renew and relax and a reminder that my new life is coming along nicely.

PS: If you haven't read the book, go right out and pick up a copy. It will make you anticipate the coming spring with that much more happiness, knowing that you'll soon be feeling the warm sun.

No comments: