Friday, September 26, 2008

Debate Night: Live Blogging

The plan tonight is live blogging the debate. But first a history lesson: 45 years ago, the nation watched as Ole Miss hurled invective and insults at African-Americans seeking to enroll as students at the university. Tonight, an African-American presidential candidate is warmly welcomed at Ole Miss.

I wonder if James Meredith ever envisioned this?

Okay, it seems fair to point out that snide comments will likely outnumber sincerity in tonight's posting. But I am truly serious when I say it makes me very proud of my nation to see Barack Obama as a presidential candidate on the stage tonight.

9:12
On the night when Republicans are asking us to spend $700 billion to save the national economy, John McCain is calling for fiscal responsibility. Seriously, I don't ever want to hear another Republican talk to me about fiscal responsibility. GOP: Kiss my heinie.

9:19
Earmarks are a red herring. Anyone who took American Gov't 101 knows that they are less than 1% of the national budget; getting rid of them actually changes nothing.

9:25
In the current economic situation, ain't none of us gonna get a tax cut. Move it along boys.

9:28
Obama is spot-on when he talks about our need to build infrastructure, the electricity grid, broadband access nationwide. Yes.

9:29
McCain: I oppose ethanol. I couldn't agree more but you just lost Iowa for the GOP pal.

9:38
OMG, McCain just called Sarah Palin a maverick. Dimwit, yes. Maverick, no.

9:44
Why does McCain think that Obama has to go to Iraq to know what's going on? That's just bullshit.

9:55
Foreign policy now. I think that I speak for all of America when I say: Yawn.

9:58
McCain is spot on about his vote on the Marines in Beirut in '83, but where is he headed with all of this? I guarantee you that the viewing public has no idea what he's talking about. I do know and he's lost me.

10:08
Main reason McCain will not meet with Ahmadinejad of Iran? Can't pronounce his name.

10:09
Obama just totally trumped McCain on this whole "meeting without preconditions" question.

10:13
McCain did not rise to meeting with Spain bait. Bummer.

10:15
McCain about to lose his cool. Bring it on, baby.

10:26
Asked about risk of another terror attack, McCain just plays the 9/11 drumbeat. And then wanders all over the place. WTF?

10:32
About to close up shop. In summary, the debate was a serious discussion. Obama was far more articulate than McCain and totally collected under pressure. McCain less organized, frequently retreated to scripted lines rather than answer questions. But no major screw-ups for him.

10:35
Obama sum up on American standing in the world: full-on homerun there. Can't invoke being a POW like McCain, but he's got a vision and he explained it.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Nicely done.

Shark Butt said...

Well done, nice balance of snide and informative for those of us whose government geekdom lurks at the state level.

JAXTER said...

Had I known you were live blogging I would have checked in with you while watching... it might have kept me from nodding off for a few minutes when foreign policy entered the discussion - where McCain seemed to be wandering all over the place and lost me. I thought you were actually way more balanced than the invectives I shouted at the television periodically - thanks for the summary.