Monday, September 08, 2008

Hello

Today I start my 7th year of teaching classes at my school. I love everything about my job: my students, the subjects that I explore, my colleagues. One of the reasons that I find it so rewarding is because of the community that exists here. It truly feels like we are a group of people seeking to better ourselves as a collective. For the most part, we're not trying to get better at the expense of one another. We share this goal and we work toward it as a community.

Six years ago on the first day of school, everywhere I turned there were faces that were new to me. I felt nervous; close to overwhelmed by the prospect of a new job in a new place. That morning as the school came together for our first daily meeting, the principal reminded the student body that there were new faces amongst us and he requested of everyone, "Make them feel at home. Say hello," he said.

And as I proceeded upstairs to teach my first class, that's what everyone did. There I was in a hallway filled with teenagers who were making eye contact with me and saying hello. I've never forgotten that day because, suddenly, I felt welcomed and a part of the mix. It's amazing the power that a simple hello can hold. After that day, I was a convert, taking care to greet the folks in my path each morning.

I always remember that lesson on the first day of school. But perhaps it resonates more this year. Last June, at graduation, as they do every year, the graduating class gave out an award to a teacher. Awards are a matter of some pride in the school and there usually is a surprise element involved. The person receiving the award is described and, at the very end, their name is announced. The suspense makes it fun for the listeners and certainly surprises the winner.

I know this because last June I received that award. I wasn't sure that the award was mine until the presenter said, "...she always says 'Good Morning' with a bright smile in the hallway." At that moment, I knew that the presenter was talking about me. And I was reminded again of the power of civility and the many things large and small that create a strong community here in my school and out in the larger world.

I'll do my part to make everyone feel welcome today and for the school year that follows. I'll be the woman with the smile and a good morning for the folks who cross my path. And this year I'll think with more gratitude about what it means to be a member of a community that brings me such pride.

2 comments:

lumbab said...

Congrats on the award! Great post. A reminder to us all how we can positively affect someone's day with a simple smile and a hello - how easy is that?!!

Shark Butt said...

Great post, glad to read about your award and glad for the reminder about how a seemingly small gesture of civility can create an atmosphere of caring like that clearly demonstrated at your school.