Monday, September 01, 2008

September 1: The Tree

For the past year, I've been taking a picture of the tree in my backyard on the 1st day of each month. I started the project on September 1, 2007 with the idea that I'd photograph and write about the tree for a year. By rights, the last photo should have been loaded up on August 1st, 2008. That would have made for 12 months of tree photos.

But I was in California on August 1st, so I took a picture of my Dad's lime tree and wrote about that instead.

Happily, this blog is mine and I can do whatever I damn well please, so I've decided to devote one more entry to my backyard tree. Though I only write about it once a month, I enjoy that tree every day that I live in this house. Lately, I've been sitting under it as the sun sets. As the darkness settles I turn on my outdoor lights and enjoy the evening. I've taken a picture of the tree and the outside lights to mark today, the 1st of September. As summer rapidly slips away, I feel the need to enjoy these warm days. Sitting under the tree at night lets me grab what's left of the long days, like extra nourishment for the short days and cold nights that will soon enough swallow me up.

No comments: