Thursday, January 01, 2009

January 1: Hostas

For the part of 2007 and 2008, I took a picture of the big tree in my backyard on the 1st day of every month. I enjoyed the project because it was a monthly reminder of the pace and pattern of the seasons in my garden. Happily, the tree, seen here in its cold January coat, continues to thrive.

But I have decided to try a new backyard nature photography project for 2009. The winning nominee is the patch of hostas by the side of the garage. Growing up in California, I don't really recall a lot of hostas. I first took serious notice of them when I moved to Tennessee in 1989. That year I vowed that one day I would own a house with some hostas of my own.

The current Sassafras House has hostas aplenty. I have planted some on my own; many of the others have been here for some time before my arrival on the scene. The patch on the side of my backyard garage falls into the latter category. I plan to make a picture of this bed of hostas on the first day of each month so that I can watch the seasonal progression of these lovely plants.

The hostas are in winter mode right now. I know that will change in the next few months and I'm looking forward to marking their seasonal evolution.

2 comments:

Jason Brozek said...

You even have a bung-arage?! Look at those exposed rafter tails!

Nichole said...

I love hostas. They grow like crazy, you can split them to make more, and they're great cover. Can't wait to see yours grow, cuz that means spring is here!