Saturday, January 31, 2009

Creativity

At a school assembly on Friday, JT learned about making sounds and music from homemade instruments. The boy was obviously inspired and he chattered about it the whole way home. Within 30 minutes of walking in the door, he had fashioned himself a homemade guitar from a shoebox, a wrapping paper roll, and some rubber bands.

This is one of the things that I admire most about JT: his vast imagination and willingness to explore creating things. I do my best to foster that spirit and it's clear that his teachers do as well. To me, that's an essential part of education: to enrich his intellect and his sprit; to look after the whole child. JT came home yesterday excited to talk about the sounds music makes, the uses of leftover materials in our home(his "guitar" is made of recycled goods) and the new homemade instruments he would create for himself.

Starting tomorrow and for the month of February, I will participate in Thing-a-Day, a web project designed to get people to create something every day. As part of the project, I will blog every day. That's not really a new thing for me, though I intend to re-double my efforts at being creative, and so in the next month I hope to start some new blog features, to continue some old ones, and to generally channel the spirit of my creative boy.

No comments: