Thursday, September 28, 2006

A Crack in His Armor

JT was a bit of a handful while doing his homework last night. He was sassy and messing around, and generally trying to see if he could get his Mama's head to explode. Suddenly, he burst out, 'I cried on the playground today. Because of Mommy. Because she doesn't live with us anymore."

And of course I was speechless for a moment before I recovered and offered all that I could: I know that it's sad, but Mama will always be here and both Mommy and Mama love him very much.

And at bedtime, when he was washed and smelling sweet and all tucked under the covers, I gave him a last kiss and said, "I love you lots, sweet boy." A friend is staying with me and I had planned to pop out and run an errand. But my little boy said, "Please don't go run your errand Mama. Please stay. It's makes me scared to have you leave at night."

So of course I stayed; it wasn't even a question. I'll run my errand today. It's a small price to pay to help JT begin to regain his confidence, his peace of mind.

I didn't do the damage here, but I will do everything I can to fix it.

2 comments:

Chelle said...

I wish that I could wave a magic wand and make it all better for both of you. But what I can offer is great big cyber hugs.

Shelley said...

We are holding you and JT in our hearts every day.