Thursday, September 14, 2006

This is Why I Love My Job



Each school year, the school sets aside time for a few days of class activities. They are usually fun, and build camaraderie, and the kids learn a thing or two. This year, I'm an 11th grade advisor, and the Juniors are working on a school service project clearing a path along the D & R canal, which is the eastern border of our campus. They are building a path in the woods to connect the gazebo and the memorial garden. The plan was to clear out the underbrush, grade and level the trail, build a fence to mark off the area and level four spots for some benches that the class would build for the soon-to-be-scenic trail.

It's a terrific activity and the kids were enthusiastic, not just about the work but also about the prospect of making a lasting mark on the campus. Then we woke up to a rainy, rainy day. Landscaping in the rain is not so much fun and we told the kids that they could take a pass on the outdoor work today --- we'd show them a movie instead.

There were 32 kids in the landscaping group and nearly every one them said, "no." They have a job to get done and they want to get started. And so most of my group set to work in the rain.

Lots of people despair about the state of America's youth. And teenagers are sometimes frustrating. But if this group is any indication of the future, and I know that they are, then the rest of us are in good hands. Strong, capable, hard-working, decent hands. They were so proud of the work they accomplished today and I was proud of them too.

I get to spend 5 days a week with these kinds of kids and I get paid for the privilege. And this week, that's why I love my job.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

The senior retreat was also a non-stop rain-a-thon, and the seniors were similarly determined not to let a little water get in the way of their plans.

Food for hope indeed.