Thursday, September 14, 2006

Finding Tiny Bits of a Silver Lining

One of the blessings of the post-Lisa life is that we are no longer hostage to her constant need to rush life. When we moved from Hamilton to Dunellen in 2005, and we no longer left for work at the same time, I realized how exhausting and relentless her constant rushing and hurrying about had been. Sometimes I would ask her to pause and enjoy life, but she rarely heard me.

Tonight at supper, JT and I really talked about his day ---- the fact that he bumped heads with Q on the way to gym and had to get an icepack from the nurse, the games he played with his buddies on the playground, the things that he wrote in his spelling book, and other stories about his day in 1st grade. He was happy to share and be heard and I was just as happy to listen.

Supper with Lisa was almost always a rushed affair. Though we did always discuss our favorite part of the day, after that she'd check out and try to hurry us along. I never liked that and now I don't have to live with it.

1 comment:

Shark Butt said...

Rushing through the moments that make up the memories, that make up the life is never the optimal choice.