Monday, September 11, 2006

Suddenly it all Made Sense

When I picked JT up at ASP today he was cranky. School was stupid, he said. Homework was also stupid. He didn't want to do it and I couldn't make him. He ranted and I listened patiently as we walked through the school. When we got to the car I calmly said, "It your responsibility to do the homework. How can I help you to make it easier to get it done?"

He thought for a while and then answered, "You could get me some crackers, a glass of cold water and sit with me while I draw the picture." He calmed down after that and when we got home, he unpacked his folder and said that he was ready to get to work. I poured the cold water and got him some crackers and then I sat down with him.

The assignment: draw a picture of your family. Suddenly, it all made sense. So I sat by his side while he drew his picture of us. I didn't offer any guidance and he didn't ask for any. He knew exactly what he wanted to draw and he did it: a mama (in a green dress) with a boy by her side. And we didn't cry because we are strong and we two are a family.

But I felt just like my heart was flopping wildly about on the ground, just waiting to be caught and put back in my body.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

You are an awesome mama.

Nice dress, too.

kln said...

i wonder if lisa ever reads your blog...because this entry would put a steak through my heart if i was her...