Tuesday, March 08, 2011

My Personal Seasonal Disorder

It's no secret that I was happy to put away my snow shovel for the season.  However, in the brief celebration that followed, I had not anticipated how quickly I would be plugging in my shop vac. 

That's right, the basement monsoon season is upon us.  In all fairness, the basement was dry through 10 pm on Sunday night.  But the rains were remarkably heavy and steady; everywhere I looked outdoors there was standing water; the rain gauge was at 3 inches.  I knew the dry basement couldn't last.  And, true to form, there was water in the basement on Monday morning.  Happily, there was sun outside.  The sun continued today and more is forecast for tomorrow.  I took advantage of the lull to fire up the wet/dry vac and suck up the water in the basement.  Things are well on their way to dry.

But I see that the forecast is for floods and rain all day on Thursday.  The Weather Service website dryly warns:

IF YOU EXPERIENCED
FLOODING WITH THE LAST EVENT THE COURSE OF LEAST REGRET WOULD BE
TO PREPARE FOR IT AGAIN.

I shall take the course of least regret, and keep the water pump at the ready. 

Super.

No comments: