Thursday, March 03, 2011

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is

I can't claim credit for turning up this Esquire article about Ray Towler, a who man who spent 29 years in jail for  crime he didn't commit.  The story came to me courtesy of the terrific Kottke.  But I will say that the tale lingers.  And I find myself thinking that if this sort of thing happened to white America as often as it happens to black America, the problem would have been fixed by now.

Mr. Towler eventually got help from The Innocence Project.  The organization does amazing work and they deserve our support.  I've never done this before, but I think that it's important to support their effort to make sure that our justice system is actually just.  The Innocence Project is trying to raise $20,000 in support of their work.  They plan to do it via fund-raising pages.  Mine is here and, if you're so inclined, I hope that you'll donate and help this project.  All funds raised go to The Innocence Project, to support their work to free innocent men and women from our nation's prisons.  It's noble work in pursuit of justice, which is shamefully elusive for some of us.  I hope you can help.

No comments: