Monday, September 06, 2010

Labor Day

On Saturday morning, as I was organizing some materials for my classroom and listening to Morning Edition, I heard Scott Simon's very timely weekly editorial about work.  I have always believed work is about more than my labor and the wage I receive from it.  I make no secret of the fact that I love what I do.  I know that I would be lost without the opportunity to teach.  Simon sums up that sentiment and so much more  Every time my job frustrates me, I plan to read it again.  The text and audio are here.

Well worth your time.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

Well, that made me cry. Really powerful to actually see that 15 million folks are unemployed. To hear on the news that unemployment is at 9% or whatever is nothing like seeing an actual number. Having been one of those 15 million (twice in two years) was rough, but Colby was unemployed for only 3 months total, and with one layoff we had a severance package. I cannot imagine being unemployed for years.