Thursday, September 30, 2010

Overheard: Back to School edition

Each month, I take note of the things my students say and, at the end of the month, I post some of the more memorable remarks.  So far, the back-to-school month has paid off a few dividends of note.

Overheard in the hallway: "I just realized that in almost every final battle scene, they never talk about morality."  I would love to hear the conversation that preceded this conclusion.

In a discussion about the Tea Party movement, one of the students remembered that the movement once called themselves the Tea Baggers.  As you might know, this name referenced a meaning that the Tea Party crowd likely didn't have in mind.  As the laughter died down, I thought that the discussion had wrapped itself up when one member of my government class announced: "They'll always be teabaggers in our hearts."  Oh my. 

And after I explained the two steps necessary to amend the Constitution (proposal and then ratification), student L announced, "Hey!  It's easier to amend the constitution than it is to quit drinking."  Quitting the demon drink is, after all, a 12 step process.

It's shaping up to be a promising year.

No comments: