Wednesday, August 01, 2012

August 1st: Front Yard Flowerbed


The other day my sister and I were having a conversation about patience, a virtue that our family is sometimes lacking.  In fact, one of the reasons I like to garden is because it unfailingly reminds me of the virtue of patience.  These days, the rose of Sharon tree in my front yard is exhibit A in my battle to be patient.  At this point in the year, it's less a tree than an ever-expanding bush.  Thanks to the summer's heat and moisture, the rose of Sharon is enjoying a bang-up growing season.
To my dismay, it seems to have choked out the gladioli blooms I was hoping to see this month.  And though the purple and white flowers are lovely, the bush will need to be dramatically trimmed back when fall arrives.  I like a lush garden, even tending toward the over-grown, but enough is enough and a haircut is in order.
The rose of Sharon won't be the only plant getting a trim; the rhododendrons that frame the front steps are in need of some limits, lest we wake up one morning and find ourselves unable to leave the house.
And while the clippers are out, I plan to take care of some unhappy limbs on the lilac tree.
I'm not complaining about a lush garden, so much as looking to keep things in check.  As news of the nation's drought continues, I am glad to have wet-fueled growth as my problem.  

No comments: