Saturday, June 10, 2006

Finally, A Good Omen

Today was graduation and while I attended the ceremony, the M family looked after JT. After graduation, I joined them and we all had supper together (though three-year-old D gave me an odd look when I called it supper and then informed me "it's dinner.") The kids played and the adults relaxed and we had a very nice evening.

On the way home, as we drove through Middlesex, there were fireworks. So I pulled the car over and JT came up front and we watched the show. Fireworks are always pretty magical and they had the desired affect. JT and I oohed and ahhed and lived in the moment. I shut my mind off to the unhappiness of the last few weeks and just enjoyed the show, watching the fireworks from my son's eyes.

At one point he turned to me and said, "it's going to be a good summer, Mama." His capacity to love has always astounded me and now I must add to his list of accomplishments his willingness to seize happiness where he can find it.

We drove home to our beautiful house and went upstairs to put on our jammies and read stories. My friend L keeps telling me that I'm going to have a beautiful life and I really want to believe that.

I think that those fireworks are a good omen.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Yay for good signs and optimistic hearts!