Thursday, June 01, 2006

My Safety Net

When I was growing up, my parents had some friends, Kara and Dee, who were my family's safety net. Together with their daughter Megan, we were a group of 7 who felt like family. We met them when I was in the 3rd grade and our kitchen caught on fire. It was a new house and K & D were the only neighbors we knew. My mom sent my sister and I across the street to their house while the fire department put out the fire. From then on, our families were fast friends. I always felt like I had a second set of parents and another sister ready and waiting to be my support network. It felt good and steady. Nearly 30 years later and a half a continent away, I know they would be there for me in a minute, as I would for them.

Making those sorts of friends is one of the things that my parents taught me and wherever I have moved, I have been able to do this. You never really know when you may need to call upon the safety net of friendship. But it's good to know that the net is there should you need it.

I've had a sudden rough patch in my life in the last few days and like my family, my friends have been there for me – steady and sure. I got to work on Tuesday morning and W could just tell that things weren't right. Within seconds, I found myself with a shoulder to lean on and a reasoned voice to see me through. Others followed suit and they have been there every moment that I have needed them. I feel so profoundly grateful.

I'm still uncertain of a lot of things right now. But one thing is certain: I have this very visible safety net to help me see things through. And I am so very, very grateful to have them.

1 comment:

kT said...

Safety nets are an awesome thing to have, staffed by people who never need to asky why you need them, but are just there.