Thursday, June 29, 2006

Mama Makes Supper


I like to sit down at the table and have supper as a family. That's how it was in my house growing up and it was a terrific way for us to feel connected to one another. Lisa was always much more desirous of supper in front of the television. That, plus the fact that she was only home for supper a few days a week made it awfully hard to hold on to the tradition. I tried but it was often an uphill battle.

We swam all day today but I was having a hard time getting Lisa's hateful words out of my head. So when we came home, I got JT a snack and then I made us some supper. I made garlic potatoes, fresh biscuits, and I grilled some ham steaks. I even made a fresh pitcher of iced tea. Just going through the motions made me feel better. And who doesn't love a hot biscuit with fresh butter and jelly? I set the table and we sat down together to talk about our day, laugh, and be a family.

My family may be short one member these days but there was still plenty of love at my table tonight, maybe more than I ever thought possible. And that's a happy thought indeed.

1 comment:

Bella Sultane said...

I'm a big believer in eating supper together too. It seems like a good way to decompress as a family at the end of the day.