Thursday, June 01, 2006

Just Out of the Oven

Every year as graduation approaches my school has a night for the seniors to say thank you. Graduating seniors, their families, and the faculty and staff of the school gather together and enjoy some good food and companionship. The Headmaster makes a few remarks and then the night is turned over to the kids. One by one they stand up and say thank you --- to their families, their friends, their teachers and others at the school. Sometimes their remarks are carefully scripted, sometimes they plan what to say at the last moment. But it always comes from the heart. All of a sudden they aren't just kids anymore. They are young men and women with self-confidence and poise and they are taking time to say thank you. It's a lovely transition to the adult world they will soon occupy.

It's the best way to end the year because it makes me so proud of my school community and the students, teachers, and staff with whom I spend my days. My first year at this event, one of the teachers remarked that it's like watching fresh bread come out of the oven. You've worked hard to make that bread and now you get to watch the product of your labor. That sums it up quite nicely.

This year's batch of students has really touched my heart. I am as proud as a baker can be.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

It IS pretty inspiring and heart-warming, isn't it? Not to mention tissue-dampening.