Sunday, June 25, 2006

A Toothsome Event


Saturday evening, while engaged in his standard stalling practices at bedtime, JT began to wiggle his loose tooth. A few seconds later, he pulled out the tooth and held it up triumphantly. We ran to the mirror to admire his new smile, now short one tooth, and then we found the tooth fairy bear, carefully placed the tooth in the bear's pocket, set the bear under his pillow, and settled into bed to wait for the tooth fairy's arrival.

A few moments later, one small tooth lighter, my big boy had drifted off to sleep. Before I climbed into bed at 11 pm, I checked to see that the tooth fairy had arrived and then I went to sleep. In the morning, JT came into my room and together we went to investigate the bear under the pillow. The tooth was indeed gone, replaced by a $20 bill. I suggested that the tooth fairy leaves a big reward for the first tooth. He was terribly excited. Then we looked in the mirror again to admire the small hole where his tooth used to be.

It seems like it was just yesterday that those teeth were first coming into his mouth. But the new smile, short just one tooth, is as beautiful as those first toothless grins were six years ago. As we came downstairs for breakfast, he started to wiggle his other loose tooth. That mouth of his might just be a summer goldmine!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I know. Inflation....and the fact that it was nighttime, I couldn't go to the bank because there was no one to watch the sleeping boy, and $20 was all I had on hand.

kln said...

it's ok stacy. that's what varun got!! haha.